Blurb

The shoes didn't fit. It was an omen.













Monday, June 2, 2014

Here and There and a Little Rant

Usually I post my Monday post on Sunday evening. But yesterday when I got home from work, I was too pooped to do much of anything... this included writing. And summer has arrived in Florida, which leaves me dealing with barometric pressure headaches. I thought my right eye was going to explode up until a couple of hours ago.

Right now, I'm good so I thought I would share some reads with you.


The Blurb 

In today's cultural revolution of creativity, author JoDee Luna asserts, "Creativity extends beyond 'superstars' who receive fame and fortune for their specialized talents. Individuals like you and me who desire to explore the arts for personal expression can also find our artistic identities.” She defines creative eclectics as "artistic multi-taskers who enjoy dabbling in various art forms rather than specializing." Luna provides insights into the creative eclectic personality gleaned from retracing her creative history in an attempt to discover her own unique path of artistry, a journey that resulted in the pursuit of multiple art forms and diverse careers. She offers hope, encouragement, and advice for people who thrive on multiple artistic expressions. Luna believes creative discovery is available to everyone, and she provides inspiration and practical steps for the journey. Refrain from the Identical is a must-read for armchair artists and crafty dabblers. Readers will rediscover the childlike wonder of creating for the sheer joy of it.

My Review
I really liked it. It was very encouraging to know some one else has more than one creative project going on. For the most part it was like reading a personal journal. And it was refreshing to read something truly from a writer's heart.

The next piece I read was a short story. I loved it! But when I went searching for it on Amazon it was no longer there. Totally weird.  Because Norma Beishir has a lot of her other books and such there. Hopefully, she'll read this and help us out as where to find a copy. 
Sorry, too. Since I couldn't find this on Amazon, I have no cover or blurb to share.

Army of Angels 
by Norma Beishir
It definitely deserves 5 stars.
It's a love story wrapped around a the mystery of who Alex is, the main character. His deceased father had a reputation as a Frankenstein of sorts. The man played with DNA and made clones. 
In his search for himself, Alex finds love but will he be able to go forward and live a happy normal life?

Slowly, but surely, I've been working on the rewrites to Killer Stilettos. As you all know, life has really been getting in the way of its completion. Not to mention, one crit partner has already pooped out on me so I'm going to rant.  Okay? So fasten your seat belts peeps.

MY RANT!

Whatever happened to people keeping their word? If I agree to read someone's stuff and complete it, then why can't someone do the same in kind for me or anyone for that matter? 

It would've been nice if this person would've just said, "Hey, your stuff really bores me and I just don't have time for this crap!" Then, I would've understood. But instead, after I finish reading and critiquing two of their drafts they left me hanging at my chapter six. It's like they fell off the face of the earth.

But I know they haven't because I see them out there in cyberspace marketing. 

So this tells me this person is a self-seeking, inconsiderate dolt.

This is why I really miss my live crit group. They were the best. We were there for each other. We were true to each other. We met every other Monday for five years, and read through 20 pages of each other's work. Even though it was a lot of stress sometimes, I enjoyed the comrade and all the things I learned that I wouldn't have otherwise learned.

But it all fell to pieces, starting with the death of our group leader and my editor, Kaye Coppersmith. After that, each one of us was struck with some kind or personal trauma and we just couldn't meet anymore.

Sometimes change isn't always good.

Anybody else want to rant?

Hugs and chocolate!
Shelly






26 comments:

  1. Norma's tweaking Army of Angels, hence its current status.

    Whoever did that is, as they say across the pond, a right git.

    I wonder if a drier environment would be better for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was wondering.

      As for a drier environment, that would mean I would need to leave Sweetman behind in Florida. He's not moving.

      Delete
  2. William's right. I took it offline to expand it. I wasn't sure I had enough for a novel...but I've never been able to give up on it.

    This seems to be the week for rants--I did one, and so did Lorelei. You're entitled!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will have to go look up Lorielei's and your's.

      I really enjoyed your story. If it becomes a novel that would be great.

      Delete
  3. Sorry to hear about your CP trouble. It's always disappointing (to say the least) when that happens. I've been where you are, and it's not fun.

    Extra hugs and chocolate for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It must be very frustrating when people agree to read your work and then leave you hanging.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is, Jo. Sometimes it's downright depressing.

      Delete
  5. That's too bad about your writing group. Maybe you could advertise and start another one? I know a lot of blogger/writers in FL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You do? I was a member of Florida Writer's. But I found that I didn't click with other groups. Too many established writers have enormous egos.

      Delete
  6. I'm sorry your CP let you down. I hate when people promise and don't follow through...it's just more than rude, it shows lack of character.
    That first book sounds really interesting as I'm into more than one creative endeavor...might have to check it out.
    Hang in there, and I hope no more headaches!
    Tina @ Life is Good
    On the Open Road! @ Join us for the 4th Annual Post-Challenge Road Trip!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm the same. I worked on 3 different drafts today and the garden before I went on to work.

      Delete
  7. Hey, that's bad news. I wonder if she's listening in right now and feels like a heal. Hope so... (^;
    But your reviews sound great on the books. Creativity is abundant in creative people. I've got so much I want to do, and I exhaust myself--like today--doing them. I work on my novel in my head while I'm at work, and that's really bad, since I drive :D.
    Hope your sinuses clear up. My husband has a neck headache. Goes with the job some days. He's taking tomorrow off.
    Chocolate hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah. It was a real bummer. But whatever. Eventually, this peep will get some kind of reputation. It will only be a matter of time.

      Hope your hubby feels better.

      Delete
  8. I'm sorry your crit partner has left you hanging like that. You definitely deserve the rant. Sorry for your headaches as well. I don't like summer as I hate heat and humidity so I don't think I could handle living in Florida.
    Take care and hugs to the fur peeps!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Shelly,

    You got let down, big time. I can understand you venting with your rant. Although my writing is complete crap, I have a number of writers who send me manuscripts and ask me for my opinion. They must be desperate. I don't anything about all this critique stuff and groups and parters. I just write and if it aint liked, no problem to me.

    Okay, that was my disjointed rant.

    Gary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gary:

      Your disjointed rant is quite refreshing.

      Delete
  10. The first book sounds great. I prefer in person CPs although I haven't tried on-line ones. I think it would be easier to commit to someone you intend to meet up with in person. Keep working on it - you'll get it done.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi, Shelly... That is aweful! I had a bad experience too once. A writer approached me during a blog contest. She liked my entry and wanted to become crit partners. I agreed. But after practically rewriting her first chapter because of so many repeats, typos, etc. I had asked her if she wouldn't mind cleaning it up a bit and sending me a chapter at a time. I was very nice about it and she attacked me and my work. Said I wasn't the right partner for her. Never again... She was someone I didn't know. As you know I am very involved with our community and I have WONDERFUL CP's and Betas. So I was only doing it as a favor to her. So much for that. What good is a CP if you can't be honest? AS LONG as IT'S not hurtful or nasty.

    SO sad to hear about your writing group. Writers here in Chicago have an attitude as well. I approached at least four and asked to just meet for coffee and I never had a response from any of them.

    I do have one FABULOUS writer friend here in the city and one in the burbs, but they are busy and I don't get to see them too often.

    Good luck, Shelly. I do hope you have much better luck in the future...

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm glad I'm not the only one. It's very frustrating to say the least.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sorry to hear about your crit partner. That is one of my pet peeves... when people say they are going to do something and then never deliver. Why not just be honest in the first place? I hope you find someone else you can trust, Shelly!
    I enjoyed reading your book review and the whole creativity aspect sounds intriguing. I always feel blessed to have a creative way about myself so it's nice to learn and observe about others and their artistic abilities.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really enjoyed this book. I used it in my morning devotional.

      Delete
  14. Hope things start turning around for you. I understand that pooped feeling too well. Lol

    Yes, summer has arrived indeed.

    I've run into a few duds with writing related stuff, but I've mostly found some great people too. I try to focus on the good ones. Lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right now, I have one true blue one. But its always great to have two more.

      Delete
  15. I don't live close enough but if you need someone to read for you I will do it. Just send me the file!

    ReplyDelete

I'm dying to know what you think.