Blurb

The shoes didn't fit. It was an omen.













Monday, November 3, 2014

Corrupted

While I type this post on my iPhone, I'm printing the chapters that I do have for Killer Stilettos.

Fortunately, I was able to find up to chapter 34. So I'm only missing a little less than half of what I'd originally written.

Skinny-computer-guy ended up blowing up my hard drive this past week. It was corrupted. I asked how ... and well ... he told me it had to do with Windows 8 downloading 50 updates to my computer in one day. This actually happened 7 days apart after I got my computer back from him the first time.

He said when this happens, sometimes one of the programs may have been written with errors.

Beats me! I just wished I could push a button here and there on my computer to get where I need to go without any problems. And why do these software companies have to keep updating their software anyway? If it ain't broke why fix it?

Windows 7 was fine with me. So was Windows XP. I never had half the problems with them.

Anyway, I'm glad to have my computer back. And actually look forward to getting  back to work on Killer Stilettos. It's been way too long. I really miss torturing some of my characters.

How is everyone else coming along on their projects?

Hugs and chocolate, all!
Shelly

27 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Not at all! I feel like going bonkers about now.

      Delete
  2. ACK ! That is awful !
    Knowing nothing about computers... although I have learned/forced myself NOT to hit or kick it the blasted devil ! can you put the little saver thing that you plug in ? My son put in a MacMini Backup on mine that is plugged in all the time. I assume it is working. If it is working I have no idea.

    cheers, parsnip

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been the equivalent to a washing machine that eats socks.

      Delete
  3. Windows 8 is so evil.
    Sorry your computer was corrupted! That is the worst.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Windows Vista did that to my Dell laptop several years ago. It started with the blue screen of death and continued on with several crazy updates.One day it was unable to update several important vista files.that was needed. One day it just like died on me. I contacted Dell who told me that I needed to upgrade to Windows 7. The tech I got to look at it said the same thing. So that's how they do it. They put an internal clock in the program which forces you to spend money either trying to fix it, or upgrade it even when you don't want to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Computers! The biggest scam ever. Big Brother operatives!

      Delete
  5. I hate Windows 8 and so miss my old laptop. Sorry you have had such problems!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Shelly, I'm so sorry to hear you're still having problems. You do back up your files, don't you?

    I liked Windows XP. I know a lot of people who didn't, but I miss it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, I found that I backed up the original draft to my e-mail.

      Delete
  7. I am so sorry! I lost a LOT of work (not through a system crash; through losing backup drives) and now have everything on Microsoft's terabyte cloud. Happy hunting for your work (said sincerely) and best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, Shelly, this makes me sad! So, sorry!
    YOU need lots of hugs and chocolate~

    I hear you!
    I am sending you good wishes and more chocolate ;D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sorry to hear you're having so much trouble with your computer, Shelly. I agree, XP and 7 were fine. Now I'm on 8 also and see ABSOLUTELY NO benefits to whatever upgrades are included. We are so at the mercy of technology. Enjoy your day and happy writing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To date, I haven't written a word other than for my blogs.

      Delete
  10. Sorry you've had such a horrible time with your computer. I hope that you're able to find the rest of your missing chapters. Good luck with everything, Shelly!

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm so sorry for your computer problems. My old laptop crashed this summer and I bought a new one. It did the same thing as yours - started downloading updates, got a virus, and crashed many times. I had to sell it and fix my old one and lost quite a bit of money. Bummer. :(

    ReplyDelete
  12. There's nothing that drives me more mad than computer problems, specially if the hubby isn't here to help. I'm useless with those machines... Good luck, I hope you won't have any more troubles.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I try to back up everything I write, and have been lucky so far with my Mac.

    All the best with recovering your work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I usually back up as well. But sometimes I get so darned distracted.

      Delete
  14. What a pain in the neck!

    And I agree with D Biswas. I've got a Mac too. It's been brilliant.

    ReplyDelete

I'm dying to know what you think.